Tuesday, January 09, 2007

More on the Outdoors (Tahoe Desolation Wilderness)

As much as I loved my recent hikes to the Bridge to Nowhere, I have to say that they do not compare to camping or, better still, backpacking.

Back in August, I had the pleasure to go backpacking in the Tahoe Desolation Wilderness of the Eldorado National Forest with my wife and a couple of friends. Beginning at about noon on Thursday and going until about noon on Sunday, we covered just shy of 30 miles. Not much, I know, compared to what some people cover in that same time frame. But it was our first time out, however, so I'm pretty pleased with it.

We learned a lot that trip, about what to prepare for next time and how to be better prepared for a longer stay. But, overall, we did really well in terms of meals and water (fortunately there are plenty of lakes out there, such as Susie Lake, seen here). The biggest down side was that some of our gear was not as sturdy as it could have been, but we will improve upon that before our next trip.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Looking at that lake, I can still feel how shockingly icy it was for the first 60 seconds.

Also, next time, we pack all the insect repellant we possess.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home