Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Bridge to Nowhere Exists, and Here is My Proof



Back on September 23, my wife Julie, co-workers Jamie and Jill, and I all decided to hike to bridge to nowhere. We didn't make it.

On December 16, I found out why. I did the hike by myself that day, and covered the distance from trailhead to bridge and back in about 5 hours. That includes a 30 minute break at the bridge, four stops to change from boots to sandals and back, and re-filling my water twice using our filter system.

The "trail" itself has been washed away in places and is difficult to find, unless you know to REALLY look for it. Sometimes on the way up the trail, I was actually climbing up the hillside when I didn't need to in order to look for a trail that I thought was there but wasn't. It's kind of crazy. But so worth it, as these pictures can attest.

The story of the bridge, by the way, is that the Republic of California decided in the mid-1930's to build this road up the canyon where the East Fork of the San Gabriel River flows down the San Gabriel Mountains. A huge flood in 1938 destroyed a lot of the road, but left the bridge intact. Today, bungee jumpers routinely make the trek out there for the jump off of the bridge.



(Having problems getting the photos to load, but will do so later.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home