Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Sad Trails - Trails Restaurant, Duarte CA

This shot is of one place that, unfortunately, you can no longer have dinner at. The Trails Restaurant was demolished several years ago to make room for - surprise! - more grotesque tract condos. And no, I will NOT spare you the horrid photographs of these places, but if you have been to Valencia, you already know what they look like! (Sorry I can't find any shots online of the specific condos in question, but trust me, they are WORSE than what I have linked to!)

The Trails, though, was built in the early 1950's. The Los Angeles Conservancy's Modern Committee made an effort to save this establishment, but it was another case of too little too late for the preservationists. The restaurant was a Duarte area landmark, too, which is somewhat disappointing. Duarte's historical society is supposedly fairly good. (I, personally, though, wouldn't know, as they have not returned several requests for stocking my book, but that's another story.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Devany said...

I was raised in nearby Glendora and the Trails was a big date destination for me when I was in high school. My mother and I used to go there for lunch too. While they were pretty much a "steak place," my favorite thing there was their soup. It was a pureed vegetable soup that had a great spice blend in it. They served it with cheese bread (much like the Northwoods Inn's cheese bread). I replicated the soup and cheese bread recipes and make them often. We moved away from S. CA in the '80's but have family there. When I went back and discovered that the Trails was gone, I was very sad. Even more sad to know that it was razed to just put in more condos. Thanks for your post.

Devany Vickery-Davidson
Charleston, SC

4:41 AM  
Anonymous PAT JOHNSON said...

MY MOM AND I WENT THERE ALL THE TIME IN THE LATE 50'S. THEY CATERED ALL THE COMPANY AFFAIRS WHERE MY MOM WORKED. THE OWNER KILLED HIMSELF. WE NEVER LEARNED WHY. HIS WIFE EDITH CONTINUED THE RESTAURANT TILL IT WAS DEMOLISHED.
HOW SAD...NOT TOO MANY PLACES LEFT WITH A "CLASS" HISTORY.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Would you please share your soup and cheese bread recipes you've replicated.

3:58 PM  
Blogger canner said...

I worked there in the late 60's as a waitress. Edith my boss taught me more about the resturant business than anyone could evr teach me. No resturant today could possible have a boss as wonderful as Edith. Wish we could find wait staff like she had. I am so sorry the Trails is gone, it was such a great fun place.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home