Saturday, September 23, 2006

Bridges (Frank J. Hyman Bridge, CA Coast)

I'm leaving in about an hour for a day hike. It will be my first trip to the Bridge to Nowhere. This road once was going to reach from Azusa ("A to Z in the USA") all the way up to the Angeles Crest Highway in the Angeles National Forest. Following a flood in 1938, the road was swept away, and Caltrans determined it was not going to rebuild the road.
In honor of this hike, I thought I'd post this shot from Julie's and my trip up the coast in 2004. At the time that we went, the Frank J. Hyman Bridge was being surveyed for pending replacement. I would learn in Portland at the Preserving Historic Roads Conference a few days later that despite having spent money to research a "reverse ionization process" to protect coastal bridges from the destructive forces of salt water, Caltrans has instead decided to replace most of its 60-70 year old coastal bridges. Oregon, on the other hand, is using California's research to restore and preserve its McCullough bridges. Go figure. So, although this bridge was not a bridge to nowhere at the time, it may not even exist now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home